Cream City Foundation LGBTQ+ Scholarship Program
About The Scholarship Program
Cream City Foundation, in partnership with BMO Harris Bank, Husch Blackwell, Milwaukee Gay Sports Network, AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin, The Windhover Foundation and the Ramon Marstellar Equality Fund has launched its second post-secondary educational scholarship program to develop leaders in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer + (LGBTQ+) community of Southeastern Wisconsin.
The Scholarship Program supports LGBTQ+ and ally students pursuing their G.E.D and post-secondary education, with the first scholarships will be awarded for the 2017–18 academic year. Recipients may use funds to help cover educational expenses for G.E.D. programs; community college; four-year public or private colleges or universities; vocational, technical, and trade programs; or graduate-level education, professional schools or post-graduate.
Cream City Foundation is pleased to offer up scholarships for students in Southeastern Wisconsin who exhibit exceptional commitment to the LGBTQ+ community. Scholarship applicants may have the opportunity to interview for internship opportunities at the businesses that support this scholarship. This is not a renewable scholarship, although recipients are welcome to re-apply.
Southeastern Wisconsin residency
- Graduated from a high school in Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Sheboygan, Walworth, Washington, or Waukesha County; or
- Have lived in Wisconsin at least one year prior to application deadline; or
- Are attending an accredited Wisconsin post-secondary institution in Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Sheboygan, Walworth, Washington, or Waukesha County.
LGBTQ+ community involvement
- Primary consideration is given to students who are self-identified LGBTQ+, members of LGBTQ+ families, or straight allies.
- Preference is further given to students with demonstrated commitment to public service that has been dedicated to equality, human rights, and social justice for all people, with emphasis on efforts within the LGBTQ+ community.
- Students who have not had an opportunity to participate in these types of activities, but who demonstrate a desire to be supportive of these opportunities and goals in the future, will also be considered for the scholarship.
Pursuing post-secondary education
- Students must either be enrolled and in good academic standing at an accredited post-secondary institution, or plan to enroll in such an institution in the 2017-2018 academic year.
- Students must be pursuing G.E.D certification, undergraduate, professional, graduate, technical, or vocational program degrees.
- Full-time enrollment is required for undergraduate students.
- Part-time minimum enrollment (6 credits) is required for professional, graduate and postgraduate students, with at least 6 credits earned in degree program prior to application.
Give A Gift: Support The LGBTQ+ Scholarship Program Fund
You are invited to consider a gift to The Cream City Foundation LGBTQ+ Scholarship Program, which will support the administration and awarding of scholarships to students in need. Many LGBTQ+ individuals seeking post-secondary education have been stigmatized or isolated because of their sexual orientation or gender identity. They often lack critical family, financial and community support. A regular gift to the scholarship program can make a difference in the life of another LGBTQ+ individual.
Funding can occur through an outright gift of cash or appreciated stock, or through a multi-year pledge. Also, scholarships can be endowed through a bequest or other charitable giving instruments (e.g. gift annuities, trusts, etc.). You can mail a check to 759 N. Milwaukee Street, Suite 522, Milwaukee, WI 53202 or donate online at CreamCityFoundation.org. You can also arrange with our office to set up an automatic credit card billing in any amount. Call us at 414.225.0244.
You can also create a Donor Advised Scholarship Fund within the LGBTQ+ Scholarship Program. You can establish it in your name, a loved one or your organization’s name, creating a lasting legacy while receiving an immediate tax benefit. You will be able to help set the criteria for awarding the scholarship, which will be followed and awarded by the Cream City Foundation Grants and Scholarship Committee.
To learn more about how you can give to the scholarship or establish a donor advised scholarship fund at Cream City Foundation, contact Emmet Liston, at email@example.com or call 414.225.0244.